Skip to table of contents

Skip to main content

The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center Student Handbook 2020-2021

3.4 - Admissions

Admission decisions at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center are based on a strong academic record as well as personal and occupational achievements, ambition, resourcefulness, and leadership qualities.  The University recognizes that each individual brings unique abilities to the University community.  The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures.  The types of admission include: undergraduate, graduate, and professional level.  Admission requirements, application materials, and application fees vary by college.  Before applying, students should seek advisement through the student affairs office for the respective college.

3.4.1 - Admission/Enrollment as a Special Student

An applicant who does not desire to pursue a degree program may seek admission as a Special Student only after advisement from the department housing the program.  Special Student status is granted under restricted circumstances such as professional advancement or recertification.  Special Student status is not granted to students wishing to enhance their application.

Special Student status does not ensure acceptance into a degree program.  Special students are not eligible for financial aid.  International students attending on an F1 visa are not eligible to enroll as a Special Student.

Special students must apply through the online application. The application deadline for special students is two (2) weeks before the first day of class.  Enrollment must be completed one (1) week prior to classes starting in any term.  Enrollment as a special student is subject to the approval of the college, instructor(s) and the Graduate College dean (if applicable).  Graduate College applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. accredited college or university.

Enrollment is limited to a maximum of twelve (12) semester hours or three (3) terms, whichever comes first.  A maximum of twelve (12) credit hours earned as a Special Student may be applied as credit toward a degree if approved by the admitting program or college dean.  Credit earned as a Special Student may be petitioned to be counted toward a degree program provided the criteria for full standing admission is met at the time of admission.

For assistance, please contact the college offering the course or the Office of Admissions and Records at (405) 271-2359.

3.4.2 - English Language Proficiency

Proficiency in reading, writing, speaking, and understanding English is essential to the success of students at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.  Each applicant whose native language is not English is required to demonstrate English proficiency by achieving a satisfactory score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination.  Minimum TOEFL scores vary by department and are viewable on the Admissions and Records website.

Official scores must be reported directly from the testing agency to OUHSC by using institution code 6902.  Applicants born abroad to parents with U.S. native citizenship are exempt from the English Proficiency requirement.  A copy of the U.S. birth certificate or passport will be required as verification.

OUHSC only accepts TOEFL to meet the English proficiency requirement.  IELTS cannot be accepted in lieu of the TOEFL examination.  The TOEFL examination must have been completed within two (2) years from the date of application.  The institutional TOEFL examination completed through the University of Oklahoma, Norman campus, is acceptable.  To learn about registration and to see a list of exam dates, visit or call (405) 325-1921.  Exams administered through institutions other than the University of Oklahoma will not be accepted.

The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center has high standards for English proficiency; therefore it does not waive the TOEFL requirement for transferring students with completion of 24 semester hours of coursework from the U.S.  An application is not complete until the University receives official scores from ETS, or the formal approval of a waiver request.

To register for an examination, visit, or contact:

            Educational Testing Services (ETS)
            PO Box 6151
            Princeton, NJ  08541-6151
            1-800-468-6335 (1-800-GO-TOEFL)


To order an official score report, visit, or contact:

            Educational Testing Services (ETS)
            PO Box 6151
            Princeton, NJ  08541-6151

Applicants who do not meet the minimum TOEFL requirement but have compelling evidence and documentation of having English proficiency may request a waiver.  Decisions will be determined by the major college and are not guaranteed.  Allow 1-2 weeks for decision notification.

The TOEFL Waiver Request Form is located on the Admissions and Records website.  Mail, fax, or scan TOEFL Waiver Request Form to:

            OUHSC Office of Admissions and Records
            Attn: Admission Officer
            PO Box 26901, LIB 121
            Oklahoma City, OK  73126-0901
            FAX:  (405) 271-2480

3.4.3 - In-State/Out-of-State Residency Policy and Petition

The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center is a state-supported institution of higher education supported by legislative funds derived from State of Oklahoma tax revenue. As a state tax-supported institution, the University gives preference in tuition pricing to residents of the State of Oklahoma.

The University’s definition of the term "resident" may be different from the definitions developed by other agencies or institutions. The University does not recognize declarations of resident status made by other agencies. Thus, a person who is an Oklahoma resident for tax or voting purposes is not necessarily a resident for The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center tuition purposes.  Mere assertion by a student such as checking “In-State” on the application for admission is insufficient.

The University follows the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education Policy Statement on Residency Status for Tuition Purposes. The full text of the policy can be found in Section 3.18 of the Oklahoma State Regents Policy and Procedures Manual.

The OUHSC Office of Admissions and Records is authorized to make determinations for in-state/out-of-state classification for its individual students, either at the time of initial application, or as the result of a petition for in-state residency.  If you have any questions regarding residency status or the petitioning process, contact or call (405) 271-2359.


Petition for Oklahoma Residency Form


3.4.4 - Transfer Credit Policy

Transfer Credit is approved when courses completed from previous institutions of higher education may be used to fill a prerequisite or to meet a general education requirement. To help in your educational planning, the University of Oklahoma Office of Admissions has developed course equivalency tables for the two-year and some four-year institutions in Oklahoma. Transfer courses that do not have an exact OU equivalent, but have been approved for general education credit, also appear on this list.

Courses that have no OU equivalent will transfer to the University and often can be applied toward a degree. The course may substitute for required courses or transfer as elective credit. The degree-granting college will evaluate all transfer courses for equivalency and determine how each course will apply toward the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center degree. If a transfer course has not been approved for equivalency previously, it is necessary to begin the petition process with a completed Petition for Transfer Course Review Form and syllabus. The instructions and mailing address are included on the form. Use one form for each course to be reviewed.

Upon receipt, the Office of Admissions and Records, in accordance with the current University of Oklahoma course evaluator guidelines, will review the petition content and the course syllabus for equivalency to the corresponding OU course. The Office of Admissions and Records may approve or deny equivalency, or recommend the course be considered for substitution by the degree-granting college. Once a determination is made by the University, the petitioner will be notified.

3.4.5 - Military Service Credit

The University awards credit for educational experience during military service according to the recommendations of the American Council on Education as published in “The Guide to the Evaluation of Military Experiences in the Armed Services.”  Policies governing the acceptance of credit awarded for military experience toward satisfying degree requirements vary among the degree-granting colleges of the University.  Students should contact their college academic advisement office for specific information on the applicability of this type of credit toward degree requirements.  General questions concerning the evaluation of educational experience in the armed services should be directed to the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center Office of Admissions and Records.

Return to top