Skip to table of contents

Skip to main content

3.8 - Records

3.8.1 - Academic Specializations

A notation made on a student's transcript for (9) nine to (12) twelve hours of specialized courses in a discipline can be made by the Office of Admissions and Records with approval by the college curriculum review committee, dean of the college, and the Academic Program Council of the University.

3.8.2 - Cancellation of Courses for Insufficient Enrollment

When the number of enrollments in a course is considered insufficient to warrant offering, the University reserves the right to cancel the course and refund all tuition and fees paid for that course. The department offering the course should notify the Office of Admissions and Records and the students who have enrolled regarding the decision to cancel the course.  The students should then be properly removed from the course, and either enrolled in another course or receive a complete refund of the tuition and fees paid for the cancelled course.

For assistance, please contact your College or the Office of Admissions and Records at (405) 271-2359.

3.8.3 - Cancellation/Withdrawal Policy

Registration may be cancelled at any time before the scheduled first day of classes and a withdrawal may be processed during the first two weeks of a regular term or first week of a summer term without financial obligation to the University. Students who have received a financial aid disbursement for the term from which they are cancelling or withdrawing should contact the Bursar’s Office. Financial Aid received will be due back to the University so it may be returned to the lender when enrollments are cancelled or withdrawn at 100%.  

Withdrawal from classes after the first two weeks of a fall or spring term or the first week of a summer term does not relieve students of their financial obligation to the University, and these students will be charged 100% of the tuition and fees due to the University.  Students who have received a financial aid disbursement for the term from which they are withdrawing may be required to return a portion of their financial aid in accordance with federal regulations. Students should contact either the Financial Aid Office or the Bursar’s Office for assistance.

3.8.4 - Change of Address and/or Name

Students must complete a Name and Address Change Form obtained on the Admissions and Records website or college Student Affairs Office to change their name. The form must be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records to the address noted on the form.  A student’s full legal name is to be used at all times so that all records, degrees, etc., will be legally correct.  It is assumed that the name on the original application is the student’s full legal name.

Address changes may be processed by completing the form noted above or by accessing the Student Self-Service System at

3.8.5 - Change of College and/or Major

When a student desires to change or apply to another major or degree within the University, he or she must complete a Change of College, Major or Degree Option Form. The Change of College, Major or Degree Option Form may be found online or in the Office of Admissions and Records.

As instructed on the form, the student must complete the necessary sections, secure important information and signatures from the accepting college/program and the releasing college/program, and return the form to the Office of Admissions and Records.

For assistance, please contact your College or the Office of Admissions and Records at (405) 271-2359.

3.8.6 - Enrollment and Degree Verification

The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide degree and enrollment verifications. The National Student Clearinghouse can be contacted at:


National Student Clearinghouse
2300 Dulles Station Blvd., Suite 300
Herndon, VA 20171

Current students may print enrollment verification through Student Self-Service or by contacting the Office of Admissions and Records.

OUHSC Office of Admissions and Records
Telephone: (405) 271-2359
Fax Number: (405) 271-2480

Robert M. Bird Library
1105 N. Stonewall Ave. LIB 121
Oklahoma City, OK 73117-1221

Graduate Medical Education verifications for Internship, Residency, and/or Fellowship completion can be verified through the Physician’s Specialty Department.

3.8.7 - Final Examinations

Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education regulations require that those institutions that reserve the final week of the semester as a testing period shall ensure that all classes meet during the testing period. Final examinations are given at the discretion of the instructor, or, in the case of multiple sections, the department in which the course is offered. The current schedule for final exams is listed on the Office of Admissions and Records website.

When a final examination is given, the student must take the examination. If a final examination is given, no faculty member is authorized to depart from the published examination schedule for either a class or an individual without approval, as stated in the Faculty Handbook. Early final examinations are prohibited. Final Examination has been defined as follows: an examination that is comprehensive in nature or which accounts for a greater proportion of the final grade than an examination given during the semester. (President, 2-10-86) A student will not be expected to take more than two final examinations in one day. In cases where a student has three or more exams scheduled for the same day, instructors must offer make-up exams. The student’s number of exams will be brought down to two by the following procedure:

  1. 1. If a student has three or more exams on the same day, the instructor(s) giving the third and subsequent exams must provide make-up exams during the week designated for final exams for that semester;
  2. 2. The student must notify the instructor or department of the third and subsequent final exams scheduled within a single day. Such notification must be given to the specific instructor or department before the end of the twelfth week of classes (sixth week of the summer term).

In the event a conflict should arise from the scheduling of two or more final examinations at the same time, the student will attend the examination for the class that met first during the week, according to the student’s class schedule. The instructor(s) giving the second and subsequent exams must provide make-up exams during the week designated for final exams that semester.

Summer Final Examination Regulations

During the summer session, if a final examination is to be given, it must be administered during the final regular class period, or the final two class periods if additional time is required, as long as the final exam does not exceed two hours in length.

3.8.8 - Grading System

Students' grades in all courses are filed in the Office of Admissions and Records and become a part of the official records of the university.

The grades awarded are A, B, C, D, F, I, S, U, W, X, Y, AS, AU, AW, EX, and under certain conditions, H, P, and NP. The passing grades used are A, B, C, and under certain conditions, H, P, and S. The grade of "D" is the lowest grade for which credit is given in any undergraduate college.  This means that although in the judgment of the instructor credit should be allowed for the course, the degree will not be conferred upon a student whose work is all of that level. In the Graduate College, however, the grade of "D" is failing insofar as credit toward a degree is concerned, but credit in the course will be recorded to be used only to satisfy prerequisite requirements and/or requirements for certificates.  Non-passing grades are F, U, and NP. The grade of "W" (withdrawal) is a neutral grade assigned when the student is passing at the time of withdrawal. A student who withdraws from a course with failing grades will receive the grade of "F."

The grade of "S" (satisfactory) is a neutral passing grade. The grade of "U" (unsatisfactory) is used to indicate that no credit will be given for the course. These grades may be used for seminar courses; provided they are taught on a noncompetitive basis and all students in the class are graded on this basis. The "S" grade is the only passing grade accepted for special problem courses, individual research, and directed reading courses.

An "X" is a neutral conditional grade indicating that satisfactory progress is being made and may only be used for thesis and dissertation research courses 5980 and 6980. It is a complete grade whenever the final entry is either "S" (satisfactory) or "U" (unsatisfactory). An intermediate grade of "U" indicating unsatisfactory progress in thesis or dissertation research may be given if circumstances warrant.

The grade of "F" (failure) is calculated in the grade point average and carries a value of 0. Students who receive an "F" grade in a required course must, if possible, register for the required course again the first time it is given. Any student presenting credit from another institution for a course in which he/she previously failed at the Health Sciences Center will not receive credit for such course except through validation by the department in which the course was originally failed.

The grades of “H” (honors) and “P” (pass) are GPA neutral passing grades and credit is given for the course.  “H” and “P” hours are included in hours attempted and hours earned.  These grades are only used for the College of Medicine basic science courses in the first two years.  The grading scale used for the College of Medicine core basic science courses is Honors (95% and above) and Pass (70% - 94%).  The grade of “P” may also appear on intercampus enrollment.

The grade of "W" (withdrawal) is a neutral grade indicating that the student was enrolled in but withdrew from the course. A "W" will not be recorded if the student's withdrawal is within the first two weeks of a semester or the first week of a summer term, nor will any record be maintained on the student's permanent record.

The grade of "Y" denotes a yearlong course that begins in one term and ends in the next term. The Colleges of Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Medicine commonly use this grade.

The grade of "EX" indicates that a student is exempt from a required course because the student has earned equivalent credit.

The grade of "AW" (administrative withdrawal) may be assigned to indicate that a student has been "involuntarily" withdrawn by the institution during the designated semester for disciplinary or financial reasons or inadequate attendance. Such institutional penalties must follow formal institutional procedures. Administrative withdrawals are GPA neutral.

An "AU" grade is used to indicate satisfactory completion of an audit enrollment. An instructor may assign a "W" grade to an auditor who, in the instructor's opinion, did not perform according to the specific requirements as identified to the student at the time of enrollment.

OUHSC is excluded from participation in the OSRHE Academic Forgiveness Provision, including repeat, reprieve, and renewal, and it does not recognize plus/minus grades. - Grading Regulations Relative to Incompletes

The grade of “I” (incomplete) is a neutral mark, not an alternative to a grade of “F.” No student who is failing a course when grades are awarded may receive an “I”. The student should have completed a substantial portion of the required coursework for the semester satisfactorily to receive an “I.” The “I” grade is intended to be temporary and to be used when a student, for reasons acceptable to the instructor, is unable to complete certain identifiable requirements of a course and cannot be assigned another grade. For example, missing a final exam because of illness or inability to submit a term project for extenuating circumstances might constitute a student’s being granted an “I.”

Simply indicating coursework is “incomplete” is not an acceptable explanation of the “I” grade. The instructor will communicate to the student what must be done to complete the course and set an appropriate deadline, which may not exceed one calendar year from the end of the term in which the student received the “I.”

If no change of grade has been submitted by the end of one year, the grade of “I” will become permanent on the student’s record. After a grade of “I” has become permanent, the student may re-enroll in the course. Coursework at another institution cannot be used to complete the requirements for the OUHSC course in which a student has received an “I” grade. If the student graduates with a grade of “I” on the record, it becomes permanent. - Grading Regulations Relative to Withdrawals and Drops

Complete withdrawal from the University:  All students dropping all courses for a semester (including the summer session) receive the grade of “W” in each course of enrollment. 

Undergraduate students dropping one or more courses, but not all courses, in the first two weeks of class (first week of summer), will have no grade recorded. From the third week through the twelfth week of class (sixth week of summer), a "W" will be assigned to each dropped course. From the thirteenth week through the last day of classes, courses may be dropped only by direct petition to the dean of the student's college. Students who drop a course with permission of the dean will receive a final grade of "W" or "F" at the discretion of the instructor of the course. 

Graduate and Professional students dropping one or more courses, but not all courses, in the first two weeks of class (first week of summer), will have no grade recorded. From the third week through the tenth week of class (fifth week of summer), a "W" will be assigned to each dropped course. From the eleventh week through the last day of classes, courses may be dropped only by direct petition to the dean of the student's college. Students who drop a course with permission of the dean will receive a final grade of "W" or "F" at the discretion of the instructor of the course. 

For regulations relative to drops and withdrawals for courses that deviate from the Academic Calendar, please contact the Office of Admissions and Records at (405) 271-2359. - President's Honor Roll

The President’s Honor Roll is compiled at the close of each fall and spring semester for undergraduate programs.  To qualify for the President’s Honor Roll, students must have completed at least (12) twelve  credit hours of letter-graded coursework, have earned a 4.0 GPA, and should not have received “W”, “I”, or “N” grades for that semester.

For information on the Dean’s Honor Roll, please contact the respective College.

3.8.9 - Leave of Absence

Students may request a leave of absence.   The major department and the College must approve a leave in advance, unless unforeseen circumstances prevent this.  The leave cannot be granted retroactively.

Graduate students must obtain approval from the Graduate College dean.  Students who are granted a leave of absence are allowed to remain out of school for no more than one academic year.  If a student does not re-enroll within the one-year period, an additional leave of absence must be granted or the student will be required to be re-admitted before enrolling again.   For example, if a student completes the fall term and is granted a leave of absence for spring, summer, and fall semesters, enrollment will be required by the next spring semester.

A Leave of Absence has no effect on time limits for completion of degree requirements.  Students receiving financial aid are required to contact the Financial Aid Office for information on Return of Title IV funds because of a temporary interruption in the student’s program of study.

3.8.10 - Release of Student Information and Access to Student Records


Information maintained by the University of Oklahoma about students, and in some instances former students, is covered under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a Federal law that applies to all schools who receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education. 

FERPA information is defined as either directory or confidential. Any office gathering such information and/or having custody of it shall release it only in accordance with this policy or as otherwise required by law. When a student enrolls at the university and furnishes data required for academic and personal records, there is an implicit and justifiable assumption of trust placed in the University as custodian of such information. This relationship continues with regard to any data subsequently generated during the student's enrollment.

While the University fully acknowledges the student's rights of privacy concerning this information, it also recognizes that certain information is part of the public record and may be released for legitimate purposes in accordance with applicable law. With these considerations in mind, the University adopts the following policy concerning the release of information contained in student records:

Directory Information

This is information which routinely appears in student directories and alumni publications and may be freely released. Upon written request by the student, directory information will be treated as confidential and released only with the student's consent except where disclosure is required or permitted by law. Students may at any time request that directory information be treated as confidential and released only with their consent. Students should contact the Registrar at their specific campus location for the appropriate forms. Students should be advised that by withholding directory information, University officials are prohibited from releasing any form of information without their consent, or as permitted or required by law. This means the status of students who apply for an auto loan, good student discount, or apartment lease, or who need employment verification, enrollment verification, or loan deferments, etc.,  will only be verified by University officials when accompanied by a release from the student.

Directory information includes the following:

The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), has designated specific information as Directory Information:

  • Name
  • Home & Permanent Address
  • Email Address
  • Telephone numbers
  • Major field of study
  • Class year
  • Enrollment status
  • Anticipated degree date
  • Participation in officially recognized University activities
  • Degrees and awards received (including outstanding or recognized academic achievement)
  • Most recent previous educational institution attended

Although not specifically included within the definition of directory information, the University permits faculty to post individual student grades and interim class evaluations provided the information is identified by code numbers and does not identify the student. Students who do not want this information released or posted must notify their instructor or the Registrar's Office.

Confidential Information

This is all other information contained in the student's educational record that can be released only upon the written consent of the student, with the following exceptions defined in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, which waive the requirement for prior student consent.

Disclosure of Education Records is Permitted

(a) To school officials who have a legitimate educational interest in the records. School officials are defined as follows:

  • A person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position, including law enforcement personnel and health or medical staff.
  • A person serving on the Board of Regents.
  • A person or company under contract to the University to perform a service or function, instead of using University employees or officials (such as attorney, auditor, or collection agent).
  • A person who is employed by the University law enforcement unit.
  • A person who is assisting another school official in performing his/her tasks, including but not limited to a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee.

A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official is:

  • Performing a task that is necessary to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the University.
  • Performing a task related to a student's education.
  • Performing a task related to the discipline of a student.
  • Providing a service or benefit relating to the student or student's family, such as health care, counseling, job placement, scholarship, or financial aid.
  • Maintaining the safety and security of the campus.

(b) To officials of other institutions in which a student seeks or intends to enroll on the condition that the institution makes a reasonable attempt to inform the student of the disclosure, unless the student initiates the transfer, or this type of disclosure is covered under the institution’s annual notification.

(c) To certain officials of the Department of Education, the Comptroller General, Attorney General of the United States, and state and local educational authorities, in connection with audit or evaluation of certain state or federally supported education programs, or for enforcement of, or compliance with, federal legal requirements that relate to these programs.

(d) In connection with a student's request for or receipt of financial aid to determine the eligibility, amount, or conditions of the financial aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of the aid.

(e) To state and local officials or authorities if specifically required by a state law that was adopted before November 19, 1974.

(f) To organizations conducting certain studies, as further detailed under FERPA, for or on behalf of the University.

(g) To accrediting organizations to carry out their functions.

(h) To parents of an eligible student who is claimed as a dependent for income tax purposes (proof of dependency is required). Parents of international students are excluded. International students sign an I-20 granting specific agencies access to educational records.

(i) To comply with a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena, provided that the educational institution makes a reasonable effort to notify the student of such prior to compliance in accordance with FERPA.

(j)  The Attorney General of the U.S. or his designee.

(k) To appropriate parties in a health or safety emergency.

(l) To individuals requesting directory information so designated by the University.

(m) To notify the alleged victim or general public of the final results of any disciplinary proceeding conducted by the University against an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the University’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation.

(n) To parents regarding the student’s violation of any federal, state, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the institution governing the use or possession of alcohol or controlled substance if the institution determines that the student has committed a disciplinary violation with respect to the use or possession and the student is under the age of 21 at the time of the disclosure to the parent.

(o) The disclosure concerns sex offenders and other individuals required to register under section 170101 of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, 34 U.S.C. 14071 and the information was provided to the University under 42 U.S.C. 14071, and applicable federal guidelines. Confidential information shall be transferred to a third party, however, only on the condition that such party will not permit any other party to have access to the information without the written consent of the student.

Record of Requests for Disclosure

The Registrar maintains a record of all requests for and/or disclosures of information from a student's education records. The record indicates the name of the party making the request, any additional party to whom it may be disclosed, and the legitimate interest the party has in requesting or obtaining the information. The record may be reviewed by the eligible student.

When a student signs a release authorizing another party access to his or her educational record, that signed release, including identification of the individual and organization to which access has been authorized and the use of the data gathered, is maintained by the Registrar. Student requests for copies of their own educational records (such as transcripts) are also retained by the Registrar simply as a record of the request having been completed.

Procedures to Inspect Education Records

Students may inspect and review their education records upon request to the appropriate records custodian or appropriate University staff person. Refer to the section within this policy that defines the type of records along with the location and name of the custodian.

Students should submit to the records custodian or an appropriate University staff person a written request which identifies as precisely as possible the record or records he or she wishes to inspect.

The records custodian or an appropriate University staff person will make the needed arrangements for access as promptly as possible and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. Access must be given in 45 calendar days or less from the date of receipt of the request.

When a record contains information about more than one student, the student may inspect and review only the records which relate to him or her. Information that identifies the other student must be redacted.

Correction of Education Records

Students have the right to challenge and request amendment of the contents of records that they believe are inaccurate, misleading or in violation of their privacy rights.

  1. A student must ask the appropriate University official of the University of Oklahoma to amend a record. In so doing, the student should identify the part of the record to be amended and specify why the student believes it is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of his or her privacy rights.
  2. Within a reasonable period of time, the University will either comply with the request or not comply. If it decides not to comply, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing to challenge the information believed to be inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student's privacy rights.
  3. Upon request, the University will arrange for a hearing and notify the student reasonably in advance of the date, place, and time of the hearing.
  4. The hearing will be conducted by the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Faculty Development. The student shall be afforded a full and fair opportunity to present evidence relevant to the issues raised in the original request to amend the student's education records. The student may be assisted by one or more individuals, including an attorney retained at his or her expense. The University may be represented by University Legal Counsel.
  5. The University will prepare a written decision based solely on the evidence presented at the hearing. The decision will include a summary of the evidence presented and the reasons for the decision and shall be delivered to all parties concerned who have a legitimate education interest.

(a) If the University decides that the information in the student’s record is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student’s right of privacy, it will amend the record and notify the student, in writing, that the record has been amended.

(b) If the University decides that the challenged information is not inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student's right of privacy, it will notify the student that he or she has a right to place in the record a statement commenting on the challenged information and/or a statement setting forth reasons for disagreeing with the decision.

(c) The statement from the student will be maintained as a part of the student's education records as long as the contested portion is maintained. If the University discloses the contested portion of the record, it must also disclose the student's statement.

Limitations on Right of Access

The University reserves the right to refuse to permit a student to inspect the following records:

  1. The financial statement of the student's parents.
  2. Letters and statements of recommendation for which the student has waived his or her rights of access, or which were maintained before January 1, 1975.
  3. Records related to an application to attend the University of Oklahoma or a component unit or campus of the University if that application was denied.
  4. Those records that are excluded from the FERPA definition of education records.

Refusal to Provide Copies

The University has a policy that denies students copies of their educational records, including transcripts, under certain conditions. While the University cannot deny students access to their education records, students will be denied copies of those records in the following situations.

  1. The student has an unpaid financial obligation to the University.
  2. There is an unresolved disciplinary action against the student.
  3. The education record requested is an exam or set of standardized test questions.

Parental Access to Student Academic Records

Parents of a dependent student may have access to grades and other confidential academic information under guidelines provided in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. Access to this information is limited to parents who claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes. Each request for parental access must include a copy of the top portion of the parent's most recent tax return, showing the student's identifying information.

Requests from parents for specific grade or other academic information are addressed to the Office of Admissions and Records.

Oklahoma Open Records Act

The University of Oklahoma follows the Oklahoma Open Records Act. The University of Oklahoma Board of Regents has approved a policy concerning the implementation of that act at the University. For information concerning the policy, contact the University’s Open Records Officer.

3.8.11 - Identification Cards

The OUHSC OneCard Office is responsible for issuing all OUHSC students a University ID card.  The OneCard is the official identification card for faculty, staff, and students of the OUHSC.  The OneCard is used for all of the following:

  1. Door access
  2. Library card
  3. Facilities entrance

There is a $15 charge to the student for the original ID card; replacement ID cards are issued for a $20 charge to the student.  Damaged IDs will be replaced at no charge if the student provides the OneCard Office with the damaged card; stolen IDs will also be replaced at no charge if the student provides the OneCard Office with a valid police report.

The OneCard Office is located at 865 Research Parkway, Suite 240 A, P.O. Box 26901, Oklahoma City, OK 73126.  The phone number for this office is (405) 271-2980.  Detailed information regarding hours of the office and account management is found on the OneCard website.

3.8.12 - Transcripts

A student’s permanent academic record is entirely a record of his/her own creation and the student is entitled to a transcript, with the following exceptions.

  1. The university reserves the right to withhold a transcript, official or unofficial, for any financial indebtedness to the university, during the resolution of an alleged act of academic misconduct, or for any other obligation to the university.  The transcript reflects not only courses and grades, but also student status.
  2. Permanent academic records for undergraduate and graduate work at the Health Sciences Center since the fall 1979 semester and permanent academic records for professional programs from the inception of the colleges are available from the OUHSC Office of Admissions and Records.  Records for work completed at the Health Sciences Center prior to the fall 1979 semester are on file at the Admissions and Records Office in Norman.

Requests for transcripts from the Health Sciences Center, the Norman campus, or other locations, may be made in the OUHSC Office of Admissions and Records.  There is no charge for official transcripts.  Once the transcript request is received, the normal processing time is five (5) business days.  Current students may access grades and unofficial transcripts by logging into the Peoplesoft Student Self-Service System.

Official or electronic transcripts may also be requested through the National Student Clearinghouse Service.

3.8.13 - Letter of Recommendation Request Process

In order to maintain compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), any member of the faculty or staff who writes a letter of recommendation that includes personally identifiable information obtained from a student or alumnus’ education record (grades, GPA, class rank, etc.), should obtain signed authorization from the student.

The Consent Authorization Form and Letter of Recommendation Request Form is found on the Admissions and Records website.

3.8.14 - Withdrawal for False Information

Falsification of information, including, but not limited to, false transcripts, test scores, information on application materials, or withholding information about colleges attended will make an individual ineligible for current and/or future admission or result in expulsion.

Return to top